Leroy M. T. Pope was born about 1822 in Bledsoe County, TN. He was the son of Jonathan Pope and Deliah Coulter both of North Carolina. Pope fought in the War with Mexico as 1st Lt., 2nd Texas Mounted Volunteers. Pope was among the first of the group of new immigrants to the Cibolo in the new state of Texas who saw a future in ranching rather than operating a plantation.
In 1850, he owned a livery stable in San Antonio, Bexar, Texas. On Jan. 14, 1851 he leased a lot on the San Antonio River on Carsel and Pope St. for 3 years from S.S. Smith and built a livery stable.
In 1852, Pope purchased land with John S. McClellan on Martinez Creek from Thomas J. Devine. In 1856 John S. McClellan sold his half of the property to E.H. Cunningham.
On June 1, 1855, he registered his cattle brand recording his place of residence as on the Martinez.
On November 18, 1858, Pope married Sarah J. Givens (born in Alabama in 1840), the daughter of Edward L. and Margaret A. Givens in Rusk, Cherokee County, Texas.
The 1860 Federal Census enumerated him as a farmer on the Martinez Creek.
The 1870 Federal Census enumerated him as a stock raiser in Pleasanton, Atascosa, Texas.
Trail boss Wiley Cowan made five trips for Pope from Texas (San Antonio) to Kansas in the 1870s; two with cattle and three with horses. June 13 and 14, 1876 it was reported that he was driving cattle through Red Fork, Indian Territory on the way to Medicine Creek from Texas.
The 1880 Federal Census recorded that Pope had been widowed and that he was a stock raiser in Union, Kansas near Witchita, Sedgewick County, Kansas. His ranch was on the Ninnescah and Cowskin near Mount Hope.
Known as “Col. L.M.T. Pope,” he died in 1886 in Kansas. His will was probated in 18th Judicial District of Kansas in Oct of 1886.