Nov 18 2014
However, On March 30, 1846 an act “To create a new…County of Guadalupe” was passed, changing the southern boundary to a line drawn from the Southwest corner of Gonzales County to a point much farther down the Cibolo. This new boundary incorporated a triangular section of land along the east bank of the Cibolo down to Rocky Ford Crossing (below present day Stockdale). 
 
In 1860, when creating Wilson County, the Texas Legislature created a peculiar “V” shaped Wilson County from a subdivision of Bexar and Karnes Counties. The top of the “V’ was closed by the legislature in 1869 giving Wilson county its present shape. The triangular tract of land formed by the “V” was taken from a reluctant Guadalupe County and the track of the Old Gonzales Road restored as boundary.
 
Guadalupe County believed that its southern boundary, as described in 1846, had been breached and their land taken by Wilson County in 1869.
 
The boundary between Wilson and Guadalupe County remained in contention until it was settled by an act of the Texas Legislature in 1874.
 
 

The Old Gonzales Road is given a new purpose in 1848.
 
In 1848, County Commissioners of Bexar County were dealing with the reality of Texas becoming a part of the United States. The notion of a cross continent, all weather route connecting the east and west coasts was made a reality when John Coffee Hayes, Samuel Maverick and Jose Policarpo Rodriguez blazed that trail from San Antonio west to El Paso del Norte (El Paso). There the road connected to a road laid out in 1846 and 1847 by Col. Phillip Cooke from San Diego, California to El Paso.
 
The port of Indianola on the Texas coast was now connected to Chihuahua in Mexico (via the Santa Fe Trail to Chihuahua) and San Diego on the Pacific Ocean. The road would be used to supply a line of forts that protected travelers on the road and settlers in western Texas. The depot used to provision these forts was established in San Antonio.
 
The wagons used to carry supplies to that depot required reliable roads. The Old La Bahia Road (passing through present Floresville) was a time worn route between San Antonio and Indianola. However, the additional traffic required alternate routes. Bexar County Commissioners responded by authorizing a new road be laid out using the San Antonio to Gonzales road (Old Gonzales Road) to Claiborne Rector’s house near Post Oak (now La Vernia), then departing that road and tracking south along the west bank of the Cibolo to Dr. John Sutherlands property near the Sulphur Springs (now Sutherland Springs).
 
The new road was called the Sulphur Springs Road. It crossed the Cibolo at Sulphur Springs and continued southeast to Yorktown and Victoria where other jurisdictions opened a route to Indianola. In 1857 the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad was opened from Indianola to Victoria, making Victoria an alternate and efficient connection to the port.
 
19th century Texas roads were primitive and subject to the whims of nature. Oxcart operators required forage for their animals along the way. Their individual paths were broad and variable as teamsters sought dry ground in rainy weather and avoided sand beds in the dry season. The success of wagon trains depended on a network of interconnected roads that provided alternative choices. Teamsters were constantly advising each other on routes to avoid washouts, bandits, and lack of water and forage.
 
The Indianola route through Sutherland Springs and Lavernia became a well-used part of the network, giving these communities their place on what came to be called the Road to Chihuahua. The United States Congress authorized mail contracts along the route enabling reliable stagecoach service. Post offices were opened in Sutherland Springs 1851, Post Oak (Lavernia) 1853, and Cottage Hill 1860.