Nov 18 2014
The reading of the historical record adds an additional dimension to the story, but also raises doubts about an origin related to "El Verde" or "La Verdear" or a duplication of names with Post Oak in Jack county. Numerous documents exist that create a clear record for the naming of the community. 
 
• The post office and community of Post Oak was established in 1876 in Clay County and became a part of Jack County in 1889, well after the name was changed to Lavernia in 1859. 
 
• On February 2, 1853 Texas Postmaster Record of Appointments records the first name of the community as “Post Oak” and Joseph G. Brown as first Postmaster. 
 
• During the period 1853 through 1859 Bexar County Commissioners Court Minutes (Wilson County was created out of Bexar County in 1860) consistently refer to the community as “Post Oak”. 
 
• Individuals from the community visited San Antonio and regularly registered in the hotels as residents of “Post Oak”. The terms “El Verde” and “La Verdear” have never been found in any record, journal or contemporaneous account.
 
• On May 7, 1859 an entry in the Postmaster record show that the name of the community changed to “Lavernia”. It is important to note the spelling “Lavernia” not “La Vernia”. “Lavernia”, spelled as one word, is the construction used exclusively in early records. 
 
• On June 4, 1859 the following notice appeared in the San Antonio Daily Herald “Change of Name – The Post Office heretofore known as ‘Post Oak’ has been changed to that of ‘Lavernia, Bexar County, Texas’.” 
 
• Bexar County Commissioner Court Minutes for the November term for 1859 note the change in the community name: “1st Class Road from Post Oak Post office now Lavernia to San Antonio…”. 
 
• The Wilson County Commissioner Court Minutes from 1860 on page 2, list voting locations for the election of its first officials, "Lavernia" is named as one of the locations. 
 
• The 1860 Federal Census enumerated the community in two separate counties, Gaudalupe and Wilson County. Both enumerations refer to the community as "Lavernia".
 
• In a remarkable reference documented with the United States Patent Office and reported in the September 24, 1859 (Vol.1, No. 13) issue of Scientific American, “patent number 25,449 – P.M. Smith and T.T. Collier, of Lavernia, Texas for an Improvement in Cotton-seed Planters” is described. 
 
• The collectible, 19th century, Suttles pottery is marked “LAVERNIA”.